What is in Javea’s historic center?
Javea historic town (Javea old town) is where you can find the town hall, municipal indoor and street markets, the cultural centre, San Bartolome church and Museum of archaeology and ethnography.
Dating back to the 9th century when Jaime II reigned, Javea was denoted as a burgh with its own council, although still part of Denia council. To this day areas of Javea are mentioned to be that of Denia which riles the townsfolk.
Javea moved inland a few kilometres as it was under constant attack from pirates so, the Javea folk built a fort wall which remained until 1873 and was later excavated and renovated in 2008 and is now one of Javea sight’s to see.
What historic places are in Javea?
During the dictatorship of Franco, in the late 70’s, Franco’s minister of tourism was given the green light to build a Parador Hotel.
The Parador’s are state owned ‘luxury’ hotels that were mostly developed from a historic building or site.
The Parador in Javea is nestled on the side of the Canal de la Fontana, opposite the Cape of San Antonio.
It has lush gardens and wonderful views across the Arenal beach and towards Cap Prim. Back then, Javea had the only Hotel Parador Nacional on the whole of the Costa Blanca.
In general, Javea has a significant heritage of historical monuments in good state of conservation.
One of the biggest attractions of Javea are the viewpoints where you can admire some of the best views along the whole white coast.
Don’t forget to enjoy each of the fourteen viewpoints between Cape San Antonio and Granadella beach cove. Any time of the year they will take your breath away.
Ambolo, Portichol and Torronel Towers: were built for townsfolk to keep watch from strategic points along the coast.
Capsades Tower: Slightly inland, the remains found here included pieces of ceramic pots, keys and a coin to mention a few. These indicated Muslim buildings and settlement in the area.
Sequia de la Noria
100m long water channel excavated in the rock, connecting El Saladar salt plain to the sea. A touristic point of interest located between the Arenal beach and Cala Blanca.
Ermita del Pópol
An intimate church located on the foothills of Montgo mountain, on the way from Javea to Jesus Pobre.
Of Gothic design, the original building is intact but the site has undergone several refurbishments.
This hermitage celebrates its festivities in September and has services of both Catholic and Anglican liturgies. Anglican, because a large number of ex-pats live in the area.
One of the only property’s owned by the municipal of Javea is the Santo Cristo Calvario church, nestled on the Montgo and originally built in 1770 s. XVIII it was extended and modified in 1849-57 which lead way for the church as it stands today.
It has large façades of geometric shapes and blue topped tower, it’s where the Saint of Jesus Nazareno resides throughout the year until the Easter break.
Monastery Virgen de los Angeles
Originally from the Order of Saint Jerome, built 160m above sea level. The Spirituality House “Our lady of the Angels" is cared for and comprises of a community of nuns known as the “Daughters of Saint Mary of the Heart of Jesus" whom are only six members.
A Diocesan house and sanctuary located in the countryside known as the spine of the Cape of San Antonio, the eastern foothills of the Montgo mountain, locally named La Plana ‘the flat’.
Many years ago, it was founded by men with the sole desire to live for God and build a monastery to house those to follow in their footsteps.
Pope Gregory XI granted permission to build a monastery in the Kingdom of Valencia, at the time under the rule of San Jerónimo. So, it was built on lands donated by Don Alonso de Aragón, son of Infante Don Pedro, Duke of Gandia in 1374.
Foreign pirates attacked, ransacked and burnt the monastery in 1388 and then three centuries later, a canvas dedicated to the Virgin of the Angels was found amongst the rubble and overgrown foliage.
Since then the religious folk of Javea raised a small chapel which soon then became a place of pilgrimage for the inhabitants and surrounding towns.
The Jeronimo monastery and chapel were rebuilt in 1964 and following this, a small order of monks moving in for around 10 years until the Archdiocese commissioned the Daughters of Saint Mary of the Heart of Jesus to care for and administer it as a House of Spirituality.